Florence Griswold Museum, Gift of The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company
This painting by Matilda Browne (Mrs. Frederick Van Wyck) shows the homestead of the Van Wyck family which had been in their possession since 1805. In 1920 the building was leased for commercial use. Located on the northeast corner of Fulton and Cliff Streets. When the street was widened, part of the homestead was removed, and the remaineder remodeled for stores. both the handsome Federal architecture and the bustling street scene convey the flavor of city street life in earlier days, with a view of the harbor at the bottom of the street.
Click an image to view a larger version
Dimensions: 12 1/8 x 10 in.
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios: